Municipality of Malimono

The municipality of Malimono was created by Executive Order No. 195 on July 31, 1956.

          How Malimono got its name is an off-repeated story.  Before the coming of the Americans, the west coast town was a vast virgin forest covered by timber and ferns.  It was told that some travelers passed by the seashore and saw a clear stream where they landed for their provisions of fresh water.  Monkeys, as big as human beings, scampered to the reefs upon seeing the intruders.  When darkness fell, however, the monkeys returned to steal food and personal belongings of the travellers.  Because of this, the place was known as “Mal Mons” which means bad monkeys.

          Malimono is so strategically located that it is a rich natural fishing ground and a vast coconut region.  Copra making and fishing are the main industries of the people.  It has now an estimated population of 15,100 (1986).


   Legend has it that the name MALIMONO was derived from the Spanish word “MAL MONO”. One day, long time ago, the Spaniards visited the place. Feeling weary and tired, they took rest by the side of the cool spring at the foot of the cone- shape rock facing the Mindanao Sea now called Punta Beach. While enjoying the tranquility of the place and soothing sea breeze, a smart giant monkey from the top of lauan tree jumped over and grabbed the provisions the Spaniards brought for themselves for that day. Quite smarter than the monkey and being worried of getting starved, the Spaniards engulfed with rage shouted at the top of their voices “MAL MONO”. Since then, the place was named “MALIMONO”.

          Nature blessed Malimono with rich marine and agricultural resources. These attracted the neighboring communities of Leyte and Bohol to establish trade between the inhabitants thus increased the economic activities that consequently gave rise to increase in population. For a number of years, commerce and trade was gaining momentum which catalyzed the creation of the Municipality of Malimono on July 31, 1956 under Executive Order No. 195 of the then President Ramon B. Magsaysay Sr. 

          From its creation into a municipality, it originally has eleven (11) barangays, namely: Cagtina-e, Doro (Binocarab), San Isidro (Poblacion), Tinago, Cayawan, Sanagdong, Bunyasan, Masgad, Cantapoy, Pili and Karihatag. Years later, three more barangays were formed now known as Can-aga, Cansayong and Villa Riza.


Land Area : 10,943 haf
Population : 14,536 (2000nc)
No. of Barangays : 14
Classification : 5th Class


The municipality is located in the southwest part of the province of Surigao del Norte and 32 kilometers from Surigao City. It is bounded in the north by the municipality of San Francisco, in the west by the Mindanao Sea, in the east by the municipalities of Sison and Mainit and in the south by the Municipality of Jabonga in the Province of Agusan del Norte.

          The general terrain of the municipality is gently sloping to steeply sloping from the lowlands along the coast going to the eastern direction, which is mountainous. The seat of government is situated at Barangay San Isidro, the urban barangay of the municipality.



An ideal place for picnics and scuba diving. It is embedded with pebble sand, cone shape rock and natural cool spring. It is most visited by the local folks and domestic tourists. The place is located 700 meters south of poblacion.
Located 5 kilometers northeast of the Poblacion. The place suggests for mountain climbing and bathing.
This is Located 18 kilometers south of Poblacion, 35 minutes by land transport and 15 minutes by boat. The place is best for picnics and scuba diving.

Annually celebrated every 31st of July highlighted by agri-industrial fair, Palaro Ng Bayan and Cultural Activities such as the “Onggoyan Festival” and ‘Sayawitan’.
Celebrated every 15th of May highlighted with beauty pageant, local sports and “baylehan”.