Municipality of Gigaquit
Gigaquit is one of the oldest municipalities in the Province of Surigao del Norte and was once the mother municipality of Bacuag and Claver which became separate municipalities in 1955 under Executive Order No. 61 and 126, respectively.
As borne out of historical writings, Gigaquit was founded in 1850 by a native name Coro who fortified the town and made it safe from Moro depredations. About this time, priests from different religious orders christianized the natives and made St. Augustine, bishop of Hipo America as their patron saint. This saint was believed to be miraculous since he never failed to protect the people even after the town was raided by Moro pirates where he showed his first miracle by drowning the raiders in a sudden storm.
The municipality got its name from two native words, “gigad” which means shore and “gakit” meaning bamboo raft. This raft was used by early settlers as transportation from the hinterlands to the shore. From what was handed down by word of month during the years, the two words were coined and later become “Gigaquit.”
Gigaquit lies along the coast facing the Pacific Ocean, and about 59 kilometers from the provincial capital. It is the mother municipality of Bacuag and the hometown of several provincial governors like Don Rafael Eliot (appointed), Hon. Ricarido Gonzales (elected), Hon. Protolico Egay (appointed guerilla governor) and Hon. Fernando Silvosa (adopted son, twice elected).
Most of the inhabitants of Gigaquit earn their livelihood through farming. Rice and coconut are its main products and nipa shingles and Gigaquit Rum, its secondary products.